Dane County Homeless Services and Homelessness Prevention

I am behind on my rent and need financial support so I do not lose my housing in Dane County.

Eviction Prevention Coordinated Entry

Eviction Prevention CE staff will identify what resources you may be eligible for.Call Tenant Resource Center's Eviction Prevention CE intake line and leave a message.

608-257-0006 ext. 7

I have nowhere to sleep tonight, or my family has nowhere to sleep tonight in Dane County.

Emergency Shelters

For Adult Men, Women, Adults with Minor Children, Youth ages 12-17, Adults Fleeing Intimate Partner Violence

Emergency Shelters

I have no housing and I am located in Dane County.

Housing Navigation Services

HNS will provide assistance with housing search and completing housing applications.

Housing Navigation Services

I have been sleeping in Emergency Shelter, in a vehicle or outside for the last 7 nights or longer in Dane County

Coordinated Entry Homeless Services

CE Homeless Services staff will work with you to complete our community's assessment, the VI-SPDAT. See below for more information on how to contact.

Adult Men Staying at Porchlight Men's Drop-in Shelter
  • Complete the assessment with CE staff at shelter
Adult Women or Adults with Minor Children Staying at The Salvation Army Shelters
  • Complete the assessment with CE staff at shelter
  • Ask shelter front desk staff to connect with CE staff
Adults Sleeping Outside or in a Vehicle (with or without Minor Children)
  • Call (608) 826-8019 and leave a message for CE staff
  • Calls will be returned within 24 business hours
  • CE hours are Monday-Friday 8:30AM-4PM
  • Assessments will be completed over the phone.
Youth Staying at Briarpatch Youth Shelter
  • Complete the assessment with Briarpatch Outreach Staff
Adults Staying at DAIS Emergency Shelter
  • Complete the assessment with DAIS Shelter Staff

Housing Resources



Emergency Assistance: Forward Service Corporation
If you’re about to lose your home or have utilities shut off, Emergency Assistance may be able to help.

Housing Authority
Website listing all housing authorities in Wisconsin.

State Division of Housing
The Bureau of Housing is located within the Wisconsin Department of Commerce.

Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) – Wisconsin
Milwaukee Field Office
Jurisdiction: State of Wisconsin
Henry Reuss Federal Plaza
310 West Wisconsin Avenue, Milwaukee, WI 53203-2289
Phone: (414) 297-3214
Fax: (414) 297-3947
TTY: (414) 297-1423


Privately owned subsidized housing
HUD helps apartment owners offer reduced rents to low-income tenants. Search for an apartment and apply directly at the management office.

Public Housing
Affordable apartments for low-income families, the elderly and persons with disabilities. To apply, contact a public housing agency

Housing Choice Voucher Program (Section 8)
Find your own place and use the voucher to pay for all or part of the rent. To apply, contact a public housing agency

HUD Resource Locator
Search for HUD field and regional offices, local PHAs, Multifamily, and Public Housing locations, homeless coordinated entry system points of contacts, and USDA rural housing

Rental help in your state
Find affordable rents and special needs housing, get help with your utility bills, and more. Contact a housing counseling agency or call toll free at (800) 569-4287

Submit a Request

Click here to submit a request, we'll follow up in 2 business days